Garden Lighting Installers Serving All Of Sydney
Are you looking to enhance your outdoor living spaces with expertly designed and installed garden lighting?
With our garden lighting design and installation service you can illuminate a beautifully featured tree, highlight a garden sculpture, or showcase a water feature. Garden lighting could simply provide a safe passage to walk along a path or up/down some steps, even offer extra security for you and your family by eliminating dark corners for unwanted guests. At the end of the day the most important factor for garden lighting is to revitalize your garden by adding a touch of ambient light to set the mood. to showcase and captures peoples attention at your garden parties.
Experienced, Reliable Garden Light Installers
Request A Callback
Do you have an electrical or security project you would like us to quote for?
Follow us on social media and see our recent projects
Our Garden Lighting Design Process
Are you thinking of installing garden lighting but don’t know where to start?
Begin with a lighting plan
Why not illuminate a beautifully featured tree, a garden sculpture or even a water feature to showcase and captures peoples attention at your garden parties. Garden lighting could simply provide a safe passage to walk along a path or up/down some steps, even offer extra security for you and your family by eliminating dark corners for unwanted guests. At the end of the day the most important factor for garden lighting is to revitalize your garden by adding a touch of ambient light to set the mood.
Some things to be aware of before installation
- Stick with low voltage (24 volts) when purchasing garden lighting. 240 volts is unsafe if installed incorrectly when used outside
- Make sure your electrician uses an extra low voltage cable. This is a heavy duty cable with a plastic coating around the wire making it suitable for outdoor use
- Depending on the length of the cable run, it is always more effective to install a larger diameter cable as voltage drop can be an issue with garden lighting
- 24 volt transformers/drivers should be placed indoors in a dry area. A transformer left open to wet weather conditions risks damaging not only the driver but also your garden lighting
- Purchase a rust resistant light fitting made from copper or stainless steel. Powder coated light fittings are also suitable for wet weather conditions
- When it comes to outdoor living area lighting, less is always more
Some of the garden lighting fixtures we install
What about Spike Lights for trees, one of the most obvious places for lighting is close to or under a tree. The tree is one of the most beautiful features you can light up, as it creates height and you can closely see the colour change of the leafs. A spike light will create accent lighting for tall and narrow trees in your out-door space, the light generally has a wide light distribution with a focused beam. The spike light is normally embedded into top soil flush with the ground, barely visible during the day and giving you that ambient and glowing light at night.
Spike lights can also be used to highlight garden walls or fences to create depth and add safety and security for your surrounding area. Garden features such as statues or ornaments can also be highlighted and can produce that night-time drama effect resulting from shadows.
Some tips when it comes to installing spike lights:
- Choose a low wattage energy saving light, they will most likely be on a 24volt transformer and will give a subtle form of illumination
- Position spike lights away from windows and don’t place the lighting were they can blind your guests while having a garden get
- If your looking to highlight the shape of a tree, shine the spike light directly upon the tree, if you like the look of creating shadows angle the light slightly away from the
LED Strip Lighting
Most people don’t know that LED Strip Lighting can be used out-doors, it most be IP rated though, meaning it can be protected from wet weather conditions as long as the LED driver is housed in a dry area. The strip lighting will be housed in an aluminium extrusion with the option of a standard or water resistant type, its cover is of frosted plastic material to scatter light and reduce the sharpness of shadows. A decking area is one area were you can create atmospheric light, under steps or along the edge of the deck using a colour such as warm white or even red to blend in with the colour of the deck itself.
LED strip lighting placed under the edge of a step will allow the light to spill down onto the steps giving it that glowing effect and making it safe to walk under those hazardous situations.
Tips when purchasing LED strip lighting for your garden
- Always make a plan of the area your strip lighting will be and sketch out the area you have in mind for installation.
- Choose 24v over 12v, as 24 volt will work more greater over longer runs and use a big enough supply cable just in the case of voltage
- House the LED driver in a dry area and do make sure it has an IP rating just in the case of becoming exposed to wet weather. We always choose a driver with a higher capacity than its intended use, so in the long run more strip lighting can be added to that one
- And finally choose a weatherproof LED strip and you also have the option of purchasing water resistant extrusion which is a good idea in our
A Bollard light is basically a vertical metal post with a base that will most likely need to be set in concrete with bolts attached. The old style bollard head attachments are normally of the 240 volt but these days you will find 24 volt LED as a more safer and efficient choice. The attachment head of the pole will come fitted with a lamp holder and reflector which will distribute the light in an evenly downward spread and grant a clear illumination without the effects of been blinded by the lighting glare. Standard sizes for bollards would be, 900mm for large or long driveways, 600mm is also great for lighting up driveways and garden paths and the 300mm will give you a subtle type of lighting effect in flower beds and pathways that need illuminating.
Bollard lights can be a good practical light for driveways and too allow guests to safely walk to and from your your home. This type of lighting is typically spaced between 3 to 5 meters but this will depend on the size of your landscape. Try and avoid keeping bollard lights in a straight line as this effect could be a boring one, this type of lighting is always best being staggered to give it a distinctive look.
Tips on choosing Bollard lights
- Try using a vandal resistant pole and attachment head, this type is normally structured from stainless steel and its more solid than your standard pole
- Stick with DC voltage when purchasing the attachment head, safer to run cabling and more energy efficient.
- Always use concrete to mount your pole on, set the concrete first then add your bolts so the bolts set into the concrete
- When choosing your globe always stick with LED, a preferred option is warm light as its easy on eye while creating comfort at night.
What areas can you light up in your garden?
The secret when illuminating areas of your garden is to never over do it
Try and focus your attention on lighting up features like trees, statues, sculptures and even water fountains will go a long way with a little light. Garden lighting can fulfil multiple purposes, illuminating pathways, the decking area, entries and dining areas allowing you and others to safely navigate through the garden pathways. While lighting will magnify the beauty of your garden, it will also extend your time spent in the outdoors.
First things first when considering the type of garden lighting you wish to purchase, assess the area of your property and make note of the list of trafficked and dining areas. We suggest experimenting with a torch light to find the best areas which will look best illuminated, shine the torch on different features and at different angles to see what effect suits best.
Our number one favourite is illuminating large trees from the trunk right up into the leaves and its branches, intriguing bark on the tree will also be visually effective. Whether you want to create shadows or generally just light the tree up, we suggest using a 6 – 10 watt LED spike light powered by a 24 volt transformer.
Highlight stone walls or fences using either spike or wall lights, this will create numerous effects like light grazing, wall washing and shadowing. Placing lighting up against plants reflecting onto the wall will create interesting patterns and textures. This type of lighting will help deter unwanted guests making the wall look higher than what it should be.
Try a pendant light or some spot lights over the outside dining table is an effective way to merge both the outdoor and indoor living space, spot lights will produce a subdued lighting effect for night-time entertainment.
Path lighting can provide a safe path for guests coming from and to your home but will also create a decorative light along your garden path. Many different types of lighting can be used in this scenario, bollard light, spike light, or even LED strip lighting. Staggering lights instead of straight lines is always a good method for path lighting.
Other garden lighting ideas might include using string lighting underneath an umbrella to give you enough light for casual entertainment. Light up your barbecue area with a well placed spot light making sure it doesn’t throw shadows over your serving grill.
More Than Just Garden Lighting Installations
We provide a complete range of domestic electrical services for home-owners and landlords. From power points and LED lights, to switchboard upgrades and complete home rewiring, you can be sure of professional, high quality workmanship.
Smoke Alarm Installation
USB Power Points
Hot Water Services
Why Choose km.electric?
20 years of experience | Fully Licensed and Insured | Professionalism Guaranteed
When you work with km.electric your first point of contact will be a qualified, highly experienced electrician who understands your problem and can advise on the best solution.
All our staff are trustworthy, skilled and qualified professional electricians. We are fully licensed, ACMA registered, and C2 licensed to carry out security installations.
We offer cost effective electrical and security services for homeowners, landlords and companies. All delivered safely by professionals, and to a high standard.
• Quality Electrical Work • Competitive Prices
• Free Quotations • Fast Turnaround • Reliable
On call throughout the Sydney metropolitan region, our emergency electrician service operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with a 1 hour response time..
Don’t Just Take Our Word For It
Our customers consistently rate us five stars.
Ken is awesome! Had a problem with a ceiling bathroom fan, he came and fixed it straight away. Highly recommend!
Ken stepped in at short notice in the holiday Christmas period when the electrician I’d organised for a kitchen renovation broke his ankle – his work was thorough.
If you need a reliable and skilled electrician I can thoroughly recommend Ken from km.electric. He has done two jobs for us and we are very happy with his price and the quality of his work. He is punctual, and works very cleanly. We will definitely use him again if the need arises and don’t hesitate to recommend him.
We’ve had quite a few jobs done by Ken and we’re really happy. He’s a skilled tradie who takes pride in his work and is a great communicator. If you’re looking for an electrician, I recommend Ken.
Ken was fast and effective at figuring out our faulty lighting circuit and his rates are fair and reasonable. We highly recommend him and he is now our go-to electrician.
Ken was fabulous – came at short notice for an emergency power outage. He worked through the rain and mud and sorted out not only the original problem, but some others he came across. Kept us well informed through the whole process. I would highly recommend Ken for all things electrical.
Excellent communication and workmanship. Highly recommended.
Areas We Serve
- Bardwell Park
- Breakfast Point
- Dulwich Hill
- Sans Souci
- St Peters
- Summer Hill
- Sydney Inner West
Request A Callback
Do you have an electrical or security project you would like us to quote for?